Utah Valley University Digital Collections
Table of Contents
Collection Overview +/-
Collection Inventory +/-
series: Dedication Program: Utah Trade Technical Institute (20 March 1963)
series: Meeting the Challenge of Change: Dedication - Orem Campus, Utah Technical College at Provo (14 March 1977)
series: Utah Technical College/Provo: Learning Resource Center Dedication (8 Novemeber 1978)
series: Trades Building Dedication; Utah Technical College at Provo (18 September 1979)
series: Learning Enrichment Center (1981)
series: The Gunther Trades Building; Utah Valley Community College (6 October 1989)
series: Science Building Dedication (7 May 1990)
series: Dedication of the Sparks Automotive Building; Utah Valley Community College (25 May 1993)
series: Facets of Life: Dedication of the Richard D. and JoAnn B. Losee Learning Resource Center; Utah Valley State College (20 April 1995)
series: Dedication; David O. McKay Events Center (22 April 1996)
series: F. Orin & Nina R. Woodbury Business Building (30 September 1996)
series: Dedication of the Bill J. Pope Science Building; Utah Valley State College (23 April 1997)
series: Utah Valley State College Liberal Arts Building Ribbon Cutting (26 August 2003)
series: Utah Valley University Presents: Woodbury School of Business (2006)
series: Utah Valley University Science Building Groundbreaking (6 August 2010)
Biographical Note/Historical Note +/-
Utah Valley University was established in 1941 as Central Utah Vocational School (CUVS) with the primary function of providing war production training. CUVS was part of the Provo School District located in south Provo. The institution received a state appropriation in March 1945 of $50,000 to operate for the 1945-1947 biennium. In 1947, the school received funding as a permanent state institution. A new site for the school was acquired on University Avenue in Provo in 1948; in 1952, the state appropriated funding for the first construction on that site. As enrollments grew, the state acquired over 185 acres in southwest Orem and the first building was completed in 1977. Today, the University’s facilities consist of a combined total of 312 acres with 46 buildings with campuses in Orem, Provo, and Heber City and property at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. In 1963, the school’s name changed to Utah Trade Technical Institute to reflect its growing role in technical training. The name again changed in 1967 to Utah Technical College at Provo. The institution was approved in 1966 to grant Associate of Applied Science degrees, in 1967 to offer general education courses, in 1971 to grant Associate of Science degrees (discontinued in 1974 and reinstated in 1981), and in 1987 to grant Associate of Arts degrees. With its expanded degree offerings, the institution’s name changed again to Utah Valley Community College in 1987. In 1993, the institution’s name changed to Utah Valley State College and the mission was expanded to include the offering of bachelor’s degrees. On July 1, 2008, the institution underwent another mission and name change to Utah Valley University and began offering master degree programs. Throughout its history, UVU has responded to its service region (Utah, Wasatch and Summit counties) population changes and business/industry needs. This responsiveness is evidenced in its mission, program offering, degree level, and enrollment changes.
Content Description +/-
This collection contains dedication programs, building dedication booklets, building groundbreaking programs, and other information related to campus buildings.
Collection Use +/-
Restrictions on Access:
Access to the collection is open with assistance from the archivist or staff.
Restrictions on Use:
Open for research. Copyright for Official University records is held by Utah Valley University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Administrative Information +/-
The series arrangement is as follows: Series 1: dedication materials
Gift of Wilson W. Sorensen and others.
Utah Valley University.
0.5 Linear feet; 1 box
Language of the Finding Aid:
Author of the Finding Aid:
Finding aid prepared by Aimee Bastarache, Assistant Archivist
EAD Creation Date:
25 March 2011
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
AR 102—Wilson W. Sorensen collection
Utah Technical College at Provo--History.